10.24.2008

Continual Learning

First of all, it is past midnight and I should probably just go to bed, but now I am not tired. I guess that is what happens when your mind just goes, goes, goes.

Due to some recent meetings, and experiences that I have had I have been thinking a lot about the need that I have for "continual learning" I don't think this is normal, but I have never been able to just do one thing at once. Sometimes it even drives me nuts. I am in this constant quest to GO and LEARN and be DOING! At times it can get me into trouble because I will have like 14 projects going at once or forget about something that I said I was going to do. My mind just does that I guess. Sometimes my learning experiences are as simple as trying a new recipe or reading about how to take care of a plant or finding a good lesson plan that I can tweak for my kids at school. I love to learn!

Don't get too worried I am not going back to school for a PhD or anything (yet). I think that learning also provides social opportunities, which often I am in need of. Like a 1 1/2 ago a friend (who will remain un-named) and myself, took an adult ballet class. This might not seem like a big deal, but when you factor the pink tights and black leotards that were required it does become a little bit more interesting. Now, we both knew that neither of us were ever going to be prima ballerinas, but I loved that class each Thursday night, and I loved that other "adults" just like us wanted to continue to learn, even something as silly as ballet.

So, I am on the hunt for new opportunities to learn.....any ideas? I also thought that the following quote was great, and something that especially as a teacher I need to remember:

"Get over the idea that only children should spend their time in study. Be a student so long as you sill have something to learn, and this will mean all your life." --Henry L. Doherty

ps -- I still have my pink tights, ballet shoes and black leotards if you are in need of a little dance lesson just let me know! :)

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I think this is one of your strengths. You love to better yourself! I laughed out loud remembering the tights. Oh, it was so fun!

My friend took some cake decorating and cup cake decorating classes at Michaels (I think) and has done some of the most fantastc things since then. It was cheap and not a forever long commitment!

Nicole said...

I too love learning. I love taking community ed classes and have taken them in photography, make-up artistry (that one was really fun), landscape design, and cake decorating. I would recommend any of the previous.

Ballet, that's really brave. I have no coordination whatsoever to manage that.

Don't worry I do the same thing with having too many projects going at once.

Tam said...

i love you amber! Your sense of adventure, fun and learning for the sake of learning is inspiring. Keep it up...your adventures will only lead to greater personal happiness I think. Let's talk soon!!!

Jim and Megan said...

I think it is great that you have the desire to continually learn. It is a great quality and it shows that you do not let life pass you by but you take every opportunity that you can to enjoy it and make the most of it. This definitely must be an Ostler trait because it sounds a lot like someone else I know.

Shapiro said...

Amber! Let's take a class together!! By the way, I've been thinking a lot lately that I really do want to commit to consistant piano lessons. I think I could do it and you opened my eyes to hope in just one lesson!! I love you - you're an inspiring woman! I say Amen to everything you write. There is a community pottery class in Provo City that looks fun. And do you want to come teach a ballet lesson to Marcus and I for FHE one night? Ellie would absolutely LOVE it and want pink tights just like yours I'm sure!