1.22.2011

is flattered

Have you ever had someone say something to you (or about you) and you weren't quite sure if they meant it as a compliment or not?  I had one such of those experiences.  Read on for detail.  Names will be left out to protect the innocent, or not so innocent.


Once upon a time there was a girl who met a boy.  After a few dates, the boy came to the girls house after an exciting (and sometimes awkward) morning of snowshoeing.  Upon arriving at the house, the girl went about her girlish duties of preparing the noon meal (now this is sounding like a pioneer story -- snowshoeing, noon meal. . . anyway).  As boy looked on he asked if he could just "take a look around" the girls house.  At this request, the girl was somewhat surprised.  She had never before had a boy she was on a date with ask to "see her house".  (She hadn't asked to see his, but that is irrelevant).  So, after giving the noon meal preparations one last go through the girl decided that she was okay with him seeing her house if she, in fact went with him (so as to help navigate and narrate the tour of her massive home). 

Albeit awkward, things were going well and he seemed to be impressed at her obsessive compulsive cleaning nature and organization skills -- even said something about her astute decorating abilities. Then, as they strolled down the short hallway to the guest room he turned around and looked at her and said, "It looks like you are ready to have 5 kids" (yes, he really did say that).  She couldn't decide at the time if she should be flattered or offended.  The only sane response she could muster was, "well, I do teach school and I have nieces and nephews".  Silence.  This is only going to get worse when he sees my basement full of children's books, manipulatives and toys.  It did get worse.  I think his reaction could be akin to utter shock at why a single girl (cute single girl if I dare interject) like herself would have so much kid stuff.  Is she desperate? prepared? hiding a small family under the bed? The tour was completed and the noon meal was served.  What she might have lacked in the foresight to shut the spare bedroom door, if in fact a male visitor wanted to tour her home, was made up for in her fine cuisine making abilities. She had, indeed added meat to the soup, which is always a winning point with the male population. He left the house full and she stayed, wondering what on earth he meant by his "You look ready for 5 kids" comment.  

End of story. 
(well other things have happened with the aforementioned "he" in the story, but that is a whole separate story, that I don't really want to get into).

For any who might have been confused:  
she = me 
he = (protecting the innocent remember?!)








So, in the end I decided to just take it as a compliment that he thinks I am ready for 5 children.  Truth be told, I am.  I am flattered that someone who barely knows me would pay me such a high compliment.  I can't think of anything I would rather be than a mother.  Why hide that fact right?! 
Someday my kids are going to be really lucky to have a mom like me with so many books and games.  Until then, any small children who want to come and spend time here can. . . .  apparently I can handle up to 5.  

5 comments:

Deena said...

A complement made to me was "I feel so comfortable in your home. You can have garbage all over the floor and it doesn't bother you." Hmmm. I think it's wonderful that you have kids stuff. You are such a wonderful person! And much prettier than Kate Hudson!

Tyler and Rachael said...

abigail LOVED your kid stuff and yes, definitely one day your kids are going to be SO lucky to have you as a mother and it will be an added bonus that you also happen to have lots of fun stuff to play, read and enjoy life with.

Dezi & Brock said...

Okay, whoever marries you will be SOOO grateful that you have so many things. That means that his money will go towards fun things like family vacations and stuff instead of children's toys and books. I'm totally jealous of what you have, it's all so expensive!

Unknown said...

How about I send 3 over as soon as we get back to UT? Miss you sis.

Lexie said...

A compliment for sure. How great that where you live reflects what you want to be (though just between you and me, I know you can handle a lot more than 5 kiddos!). What a funny story though. I wonder if he even thought twice about the comment. Your future kids and husband sure are lucky!