4.09.2010

Dear Sewing Machine,

I want to start by telling you thank you for all of your hard work. If I could list 3 words to describe you they would have to be: dedicated, patient and amazing. You have been so good to me over the past few sewing projects. You sewed some really great aprons at Christmas time. Put out a quilt in record time. And more recently, the Pioneer clothes that you produced were downright darling. Given your clean track record, your recent behavior is baffling to me. Right when i am in the middle of making a really cute quilt do you have to start tightening and double-stitching for no reason at all? Just thinking that maybe if I ask nicely all your parts could work together without giving me too much trouble.


(I did read the book crucial conversations and they told me to "start with the heart" in all conversations. . . . so that is why I started with all of the great things about you. Reference them at the start of the letter if at anytime during the reading you are feeling attacked or unfairly accused)


For the record: I have been so protective of you and kept you all clean and tidy and tuned and I haven't let anyone borrow you or take you away from your home. I think that given my phenomenal treatment of you I am getting the raw end of the deal.

If you could see what this great quilt looks like that I am working on I know you would understand and comply with my simple request. Thank you in advance for seeing/sewing it my way and playing nice, at least for the remainder of the evening. I only have 10 more squares to go (on this part of the quilt). I think that what I am asking of you is 100% reasonable. I hope we can stay friends for a very long time.

Love,
Amber

ps -- A special note to the bobbin about how important you are to the success of the machine. I think you are causing most of the problem and I would hate to see you be replaced. You have been warned.

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Maybe try canned air--just cleaning out the inside. If you've done all those projects your feed dogs may be in need of some blowing~! :)

Unknown said...

haha, when my surger wasnt working right i called my mom a hundred times, called my sister, then called the store mom bought it from and they fixed it in a minute. when they did i cried with relief, funny how attached we become to something, yeah? miss ya. when you come out you're going to have to show me how you did the wreath. love ya

Mandi said...

You are too cute!! I feel your pain. That is why I try not to sew unless it is for my children's first birthday quilt. Luckily I have no more of those to do! Good luck!

Jen said...

Those rascaly bobbins are always making a mess of things!

Lexie said...

Love the letter, I've felt that way many times, though I don't take as good of care of my machine. Love the quilt you are making though and can't wait to see the finished product when your machine (and bobbin) decide to shape up!